As you spend this 4th Thursday of November celebrating Thanksgiving surrounded by family and friends consuming delicious food, we thought we would provide you with some fun facts to Wow your guests with.
The History Facts:
- The Settlers of the Plymouth Colony celebrated the 1st Thanksgiving in 1621 with 50 Pilgrims, 90 Pilgrims that lasted over 3 days, and only 5 women are believed to have been present.
- Sarah Josepha Hale, who wrote the poem “Mary Had a Little Lamb” campaigned 17 years and finally convinced President Lincoln to declare Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863.
- President George H.W. Bush is the one who formalized the turnkey pardoning tradition in 1989. 2 turkeys are sent to the White House each year.
The Fun Fact:
- There are towns in the U.S. named “Turkey”. Turkey, Arizona / Turkey, Louisiana Turkey, North Carolina /Turkey, Texas.
- 1876, year the Thanksgiving football tradition began with Yale playing Princeton.
- 1920, year the 1st NFL games were played on Thanksgiving Day.
- The Dallas Cowboys and the Detroit Lions have played every Thanksgiving since 1966.
- It takes 10 hours and 33 mins to burn off the average 4,500 calories the average American consumes during Thanksgiving dinner.
- Black Friday is the busiest day of the year for plumbers.
- Over 8,000 participants walk in the 2.65 mile route of the Macy’s Day Parade that has over 3.5 million spectators attending and over 50 million television viewers.
- Over 32 million people begin Black Friday shopping on Thanksgiving Day, with the average 5 day spending to be above $300.00.